Seattle Sailing Club’s Race Programs give members the opportunity to learn the rules of sailing and improve their overall sailing skills. From casual to competitive, beginner to advance, the racing programs are open to all levels of sailing experience. We see racing as a fun way to learn how to sail quickly and efficiently!
Spring & Summer Racing
- Fun-focused and fulfilling racing experience
- Improve skills and expand knowledge
- Build confidence regardless of each sailor’s level of experience
- Meet and share experiences with other SSC members
- Apply knowledge regularly and try out different positions on the boat
- Do our best, sail fast, and achieve success!
Corinthian Yacht Club’s Wednesday night series include probable one-design starts, a professional race committee, and set-up, and good competition. Coached by Club race coaches, members competitively race on the J/105’s and J/80’s April through September. Coaches instruct crew throughout the series to help improve skills and gain confidence on the racecourse.
- Help more experienced racers progress in a challenging environment
- Focus on coaching and improvement
- Pair racers with others wishing to expand skills and knowledge
- Make connections and enjoy competition with racing teams outside of SSC
For a number of years, Seattle Sailing Club has put together a crew and sent a J/105 team up to Whidbey Island Race Week (now Northwest Race Week), the biggest series of the year. This is an opportunity for the most committed SSC racers to experience the day-in-day-out dynamic of a high-level racing series. With many J/105s in the SSC Fleet now, there are more and more opportunities for members to head up to Anacortes and get in on the fun!
Fall & Winter Racing Programs
October to April
- Be safe and have fun in an educational, patient, and inviting environment
- Encourage experienced racers to share their knowledge and skills with newly interested sailors
- Try out new positions on the boat
- Help racers build teams and start practicing for Summer Racing Programs
- Develop current skills through discussions with professional/experienced racers
- Gain skills and confidence through on-the-water coaching
- Hands-on experience and practice right after chalk talk
Throughout the year, members have also participated in: CYC Puget Sound Spring Regatta (PSSR), CYC Puget Sound Sailing Championships (PSSC), CYC Center Sound Series (CSS), POD (PNW One Design) Regatta, SYC Grand Prix, and SB Snowbird.
Understanding the Racing Rules of Sailing... by Dave PerryRead More
Quantum Sails: Headsail Trim GuideRead More
Quantum Sails: Mainsail Trim GuideRead More
Quantum Sails: Asymmetrical Trim GuideRead More
The Sloop Tavern Yacht ClubRead More
Intern. Sailing Federation's Racing Rules of SailingRead More
Corinthian Yacht ClubRead More
Spinnaker Handling VideoView Here
After my 101 class, meeting Mike to go race Merit 25’s. That gave me the bug to race and it never has changed…” Steve K. -- SSC member since 1997
Racing J/24s with Scott last summer…and constantly winning! John C. -- SSC member