Work as little or as much as you’d like as a Club instructor!
Sailing Instructor Position
Seattle Sailing Club teaches American Sailing Association sailing lessons from beginner to advanced. Along with our ASA lessons, instructors also participate in team building events, private sailing instruction, racing, seminars, and member programs. Seattle Sailing Club offers flexible scheduling and instructors can pick up as many or as few shifts as they’d like. Full-time instructors are guaranteed 40 hours/week April – October. We can arrange for instructor certification for candidates who aren’t ASA certified.
Our instructors come from a wide variety of backgrounds but they all have two things in common: a love of sailing and a passion for teaching. Consider joining an awesome team of sailing enthusiasts!
What it takes:
Coast Guard License; classes available online or in-person with Capt. Sanders www.usmaritime.us
Info session September 20th 6pm – 9:30pm
Zoom ID: 818 6559 7580 Pass: USMA
Note: For questions about this course, please contact Capt. Sanders directly (360) 385-4852. Club staff have very little information about this event/course.
Review the ASA Standards of Certification, ASA’s Instructor Code of Ethics, ASA’s Instructor Clinic Information, and let us know if you are interested in moving forward with becoming an ASA sailing instructor!
- Teach safety, boat handling and sailing theory to adults in keelboats who are beginning or intermediate sailors
- Develop and follow Seattle Sailing Club lesson plans that include classroom and on-the-water drills
- Have understanding and patience for the students and be able to adapt to their individual needs
- Maintain a clean and inviting classroom
- Administer and grade ASA certification exams
- United States Coast Guard Licensed (any tonnage)
- American Sailing Association Certified Instructor 201 or higher (we can arrange for instructor certification for candidates who aren’t ASA certified)
- Current Red Cross & CPR Certification
- Must have a passion for sailing, the environment, and working with people
- Must have a positive attitude and understanding of a flexible schedule
- Proficient in all aspects of handling keelboat sloops from 22′ to 40′ (rigging, sailing or under auxiliary power)
- Coast Guard sail endorsement
- Experience teaching/coaching sailing
- Local knowledge of the Puget Sound area
- Charismatic leadership
SCHEDULE & AVAILABILITY
Scheduling instructors depends on our lesson schedule, the time of year, and current events. Full-time instructors will be guaranteed 40 hours/week April through October and will participate in team-building events, private sailing instruction, boat cleaning and maintenance, racing, seminars, and member programs.
Questions? Ready to join our team? Please email Steve Summers, Seattle Sailing Club’s Lead Instructor, at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.